November 24, 2016 🦃
- Did application for Hack Reactor.
- Technical interview November 30th at 7:00 PM!
- Hack Reactor Syllabus
Advice from JB on my interview:
Just make sure you can handle functions that take functions as parameters. If you are familiar with the map, reduce, filter functions and how to write them then that covers what use to be the interview questions.
Also be sure to engage with your interviewer. I am in introvert so I was dinged by my interviewer when I didn’t talk. If you don’t understand how to do something then start talking and articulating how you would handle something. This shows them how you think and what you would do and how you think you might solve it.
- Worked more on reactivex problems. Stuck on the massive nesting on map, filter and concatAll.
- Ate so much food it hurts!
November 25, 2016
- Forked JS koans repository.
- So you think you want to be a Developer?
- Worked a lot on fleshing out my scholarship video script/what I’m going to say.
- Was supposed to have a mentor session today with Dan, but he’s sick so we moved it to Sunday (hopefully)
November 26, 2016
- Variables declared within a function are local variables and are only accessible within that function or by functions inside that function.
- If you don’t declare your local variables with the var keyword, they are part of the global scope.
- Make Body Language Your Superpower
- The Art of the Finish: How to Go From Busy to Accomplished
- What is Between the Wires
- An interview series featuring those who are building developer products.
- Why I’m Thankful for JS Fatigue. I know you’re sick of those words, but this is different.
- Finished filming my scholarship video! Looking a little fat. Gotta fix that!
November 27, 2016
- Finished editing my Scholarship video. It came out pretty well.
- Codementor meeting was missed (not by me). Rescheduled to Monday evening.
- Sent a few more emails out to some HR alumni and VIPs.
- PODCAST: Episode 140 | Haseeb Qureshi – Virtue and Hustle
- Still adding more blog posts to my website.
November 28, 2016
- Updated the contact info on my blog.
- Not gonna lie, I’m freaking out a tiny bit about this interview Wednesday. Not to mention the scholarship stuff has to be posted, shared, and all essays done by tomorrow! 😳
- Sorting Algorithms Animations
- Spoke with Michael Fink – Director of Admissions at Hack Reactor
- He said I should be okay to use their logo in my video.
- The best students have “Grit” and a “Growth mindset”.
- If I fail to pass the technical interview I can redo it again in two weeks.
- At any point in time, there can only be one execution context running.
- Don’t Get Attached, It’s Just Luck
- I don’t believe all that he’s saying, but still interesting. He doesn’t quite understand how the entire game works.
- Had my second CodeMentor session with Dan (75m)
- Discussed the Hack Reactor problem from their study guide.
- Went over some stuff about closures.
- Talked about some CodeWars problems, two pointers, and regex.
- Then we finally discussed my CM to IN converter and how I would do it simply in HTML/JS.
- We used JS Fiddle at the same time online. Never used it before, but it was cool!
November 29, 2016
- Video is finally up and shared! Up to 100 views already! I still cannot believe the support and sharing that’s behind me. Pressure much?
- Fastly engineers discuss their experience with coding bootcamps
- JS Linter
- Regexhub – Useful Regex Patterns
- Eloquent JS Chapter 8
- Had a quick mentor session with Dan again to discuss about using Assert to test which is something I hadn’t come across.
- We also ran through a couple of CodeWars problems as well.
- Went home and worked on my essays for the scholarship until midnight.
November 30, 2016
- TODAY IS INTERVIEW DAY!! 😨
- No matter what happens I’m so happy with my progress and realize that I have so much support and love around me that it’s impossible to fail.
- Continued to work on my essays this morning. They are 98% of the way there!
- The Complete React Web App Developer Course
- App Academy Prep Work
- I finally solved a problem using a regex pattern I made on my own!!
- And I made another in the very next one to find the number of vowels in a string.
- T-minus 37 minutes. Arghhhhh! 😱
- Finished the interview. It was pretty brutal. They threw stuff at me I had never seen before. I have a suspicion that’s on purpose, but either way I was starting to get through it and fix my glaring mistakes when time was up. I won’t go into what exactly was covered or the format, but here is what I can say:
- To say I was nervous is an understatement.
- We used a shared IDE website to code which was nice. I heard it was just plain text, but not anymore.
- It was recorded and then sent to the campus that you applied to afterwards.
- There was a few minutes before to talk about me, and a few minutes after to ask any questions.
- I did my best to talk and vocalize my thoughts the entire time no matter how silly it felt to talk about the most basic of JS.
- I left this reminder by me the whole time.
Oh by the way, I submitted my scholarship application!